Skip to content Where Legends Are Made
Research & Economic Development ORED Offices Make a Gift
Farrah Hall

Research Security & Export Control

When to Contact Us

Contact the Office for Research Security & Export Control when

  • traveling internationally with University equipment or technical data; 
  • traveling to an embargoed country, currently
    • The Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk regions of Ukraine 
    • Cuba 
    • Iran 
    • North Korea 
    • Syria 
  • sponsoring visa applications of visiting scholars or prospective employees; 
  • collaborating with a researcher or institution outside of the U.S., especially when that collaboration involves individuals or institutions from a sanctioned country or when sensitive information or equipment may be shared; 
  • exporting/shipping items internationally; 
  • a sponsored award or unfunded project agreement contains restrictions or limitations on publication, dissemination, proprietary information (e.g., confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements), or foreign person participation—for example, if a project requires that participants be U.S. citizens or that all foreign persons be screened and approved by a non-UA entity 
  • involved in a project, research, or other activity related to military; space-related information; nuclear, chemical, and/or biological weaponry; missiles; unmanned vehicles; encryption technologies, or other items listed on the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) U.S. Munitions List (USML) or “dual use” items enumerated on the Export Administration Regulation (EAR) Commerce Control List (CCL); 
  • procuring items enumerated on the USML or CCL; 
  • performing work under an agreement that is marked “Export Controlled” or includes export control provisions beyond a mere statement that the parties will comply with export control laws; or 
  • you suspect a violation of export control laws or regulations has occurred.