Conflict of Interest
The University of Alabama (UA) realizes that actual or potential conflicts of interest may occur in the normal course of research and other sponsored activities at a vibrant university. They are inevitable, and do not necessarily represent any impropriety by employees if disclosed and properly managed. The key to identifying a conflict of interest is to evaluate whether there is a potential for improper personal gain or influence resulting from the dual roles the employee plays. Perceived conflicts of interest can be as harmful as real conflicts of interest. Therefore, it is UA’s policy that outside interests of an investigator should be reported. The Office for Research Compliance will review the disclosures and inform the investigator if they feel there is a potential risk that needs further management.
For more information on Conflict of Interest or to report an issue, please contact the ORC Specialist by email or at (205) 348-6749.
To request information regarding identified financial conflicts of interest held by UA investigators, please submit a written request, including the investigator’s name and project title, to the following address:
Office for Research Compliance
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0127
Conflict of Interest (COI) training is required once every 4 years and should be completed by each investigator prior to engaging in any research or sponsored activity related to a funded grant or contract (refer to Section III. D. of the Policy on Conflict of Interest). The COI training course is administered through the CITI Program, which is accessible via myBama. The course consists of a brief introduction and 5 modules. For more information, please see the course enrollment instructions.
- Log into CITI via one of the following options:
- myBama CITI single sign-on at myBama CITI Login Portal (This option is only for UA faculty, staff, and students with an active myBama account.)
- CITI website at www.citiprogram.org. Please note that your CITI account must be affiliated with UA. If you are not currently affiliated with UA, from the Main Menu select “Click here to affiliate with another institution” and enter (or search for) “University of Alabama”.
- From the Main Menu, click “University of Alabama Courses”
- Under My Learner Tools for The University of Alabama, click “Add a Course or Update Learner Groups”
- On the Select Curriculum page, scroll down to the last question (# 8: Conflicts of Interest), select “Yes” and click “Submit”
If you have already completed the COI training, you will not be required to complete the new CITI COI course until your training expires 4 years from the date of initial completion. You will receive an email notification to renew your COI training prior to expiration.
The University Conflict of Interest Committee composed of employees who are experienced with the preparation, submission and administration of sponsored grants and contracts and all matters relating to the identification and management of actual or apparent conflicts, serves as an advisory resource. The committee works with the Research Compliance Officer on identified conflicts of interest to review and advise on resolution of the conflict.
UCIC Meeting Dates
- January 18, 2023
- March 22, 2023
- May 17, 2023
- July 19, 2023
- September 20, 2023
- November 15, 2023
Who must file a disclosure?
Anyone who is responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of federally-funded research, regardless of his/her title or role on the project or the receipt of funding must submit a disclosure. This definition includes adjunct faculty, students, volunteers, subcontractors, consultants, collaborators, research coordinators, research assistants, and other research staff.
Submit Online: Statement of Financial Interest Form.
When will I need to submit my disclosure?
- Any new researchers are required to submit an FCOI disclosure at the time of submission of proposals for any federal funding.
- All existing researchers are required to renew their FCOI during the annual disclosure period, currently September 1st – 30th.
- All researchers are required to submit an updated FCOI disclosure immediately as changes occur.
What happens if I don’t complete my annual disclosure?
- Grant proposals and contracts may not be submitted if you are listed as personnel
- Funds from grant or other sponsored program awards will not be distributed;
- IRB and IACUC will not release the final letter of approval;
- Other disciplinary action as required by federal regulation; and
- The granting or sponsoring agency will be notified, if applicable.
Review additional Financial Conflict of Interests questions.
Below are all resources related to Conflict of Interest.